2011年3月20日 星期日

There’s a library over my head

There’s a library over my head


There’s a library over my head ready to break through the ceiling at any time.
This is not the meandering of a paranoid old cuss. It happened to friends of ours.fluorescentonline Johnathan Sinclair is a producer for BBC documentaries. They are obsessive book collectors. The floor of their upstairs library started warping. They saved the books just in time.

My wife and I crave books, not the same ones of course, and this only adds to our problem.

Our third floor is jammed with volumes. It has floor-to-ceiling book shelves all down one side and my homemade shelves around the rest. Indeed, the previous owner was like us.

I noticed we had a problem when I tried to open the dormer windows. I can’t get to them. Books, books, books. Piles of them. Mountains of them. So many books, you cannot see the floor. And now the den is full, and the living room.

We seem to have trouble parting with them. We take them to the library for book sales, then replace them at the same time, and more.

I have Mark Twain’s entire life’s output up there, but cannot resist extra copies at $1.

In my case, it’s genetic. My dad was a book nut. He filled our living room with shelves and you know what. This is when we ran out of space upstairs.replicabellrossvendor offer a wide selection of Replica Watches of all popular Replica Watches brands including Replica Bell & Ross Watches, He had his own card catalog, indexing everything.

His idea of vacations was spending hours in rare book emporiums. I knew every inch of Ernie Wesson’s musty shop in Mansfield and John Zubal’s amazing storehouse in Cleveland.Reload this Page Market watchvendor feedback.

My sister got the bug early and spent considerable childhood with a book on her lap. I got my start with comics at 4 a.m. Saturday mornings in bed with my beagle, Shiloh, in my lap.Mint condition high grade finewatches, That dog adored Daffy Duck.New authentichublotwatches at discount prices from SwissLuxury.

My wife is the ultimate multi-tasker, always reads when she “watches” TV. We read together in the afternoons, our mini doxie, Lily, between us. Lily’s torn between Rin Tin Tin and Shaggy Dog.

It doesn’t help that all of our friends are big-time book freaks. They’re out of space too and buying e-book readers. Three months ago, I did too. I love it. I haven’t spent a cent on books.

Then again, the Kindle is reader neutral. When I read Mark Twain, I like to smell the book as I turn the pages. He’s such a majestic writer, I can feel the river flowing in his pages.

So far with the Kindle, not so much touchy-feely. I noticed the other day I’d filled it with books waiting to read. Now I need another one because I cannot find the resolve to delete anything.

沒有留言:

張貼留言